Sunday, February 10, 2008

Canoe Song

The Singing Circle is part of every group piano class. This is where we learn the melodic patterns of the songs we will eventually play and one of the ways to get the music firmly cemented in our brains. In this video you will see Jared, Ismael, Mikayela, Kelsey and Taylor, paddling their canoe in duple rhythm, while singing a melody line and an ostinato (dip, dip and swing) which changes from girls to boys at my prompting. Did you understand any of this? Well, this class of 8 year olds knows this is the way to make music. Our next step down the road will be to transfer it to the piano.

2 comments:

Soutenus said...

This is a wonderful blog! I am a fellow MG teacher and found this site through the MG loop (group).

I have linked to you - please let me know if this is not ok with you.

I would like to make my site to be as up to date and interactive as yours! I would love for my parents to see a "sister studio" website.

Here is more info just in case you are curious:
My MG blog is: http://themusicgarden.blogspot.com/
My signature links back to my main blog.

I also have a Music and Movement site that is an avenue of communication for 3 types of classes I teach (MG, Music and Movement in the classroom setting - part of a PE program and a Dance program)

DCB said...

What wonderful memories this brings back to me... Let's see, about ten years since the 1st one sang this song, and four since the younger one. For all of you parents who are fortunate to have your children in Dorla's classes, enjoy! We moved to Austin 1.5 years ago and still miss her continually, but the foundation she laid still serves our children well. Thanks for the memories, Dorla!